Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ask for Help

“If you learn anything... please learn to ask for help. It is a sign of wisdom and strength.” - David Skorton, Cornell University President

This quote came today via Twitter and it something that I feel needs to be shared.

I can't go to far into it, because it is not my story to tell, but someone I know has hurt themselves.  They may not be with us much longer and it's just now sinking in.  I was sitting here eating my lunch and yet something in the world has changed.

I thought I knew how I felt about suicide.  I had a perspective.  A perspective that was solely mine.  I never thought to much about how the people left behind felt.  I figured there would be sadness and confusion but I've seen people at a complete loss.  Devestated.  Blaming themselves.

I don't have a great insight.  I haven't processed the change and come out with a profound thought.  I just know that something I couldn't fathom has occurred and now we are are left to cope and try to figure it all out and try to go on.

If you are even thinking about harming yourself or think someone else may, please use the resources here to speak with someone.

5 comments:

hiyaluv said...

Great post Poochie. Suicide is extremely hard to handle on one's own. Anybody involved for that matter. Sadly I have dealt with it way too many times-personally and professionally and it doesn't get any easier each time. This post is touching and may just be what somebody needs-
Fondly,
gina

Sara Darling said...

I hope you don't mind comments. Your post reminded me of when a friend committed suicide a few years ago. We weren't terribly close but it broke my heart, and I was also surprised at how imcredibly incredibly angry I was at him. Knowing how much his action had hurt his wife, his family, his friends...

Jennifer Nicole said...

As someone who has come through the other side of others' suicide attempts and, in some cases, successes, I can understand the grief and frustration you're going through. At the same time, coping with attempted suicide is a different experience for each of us, and it can be very lonely for everyone involved.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, Poochie, and I hope that the person who made the attempt is able to pull through and get help or, if not, that those that love that person are able to find peace.

Leanne Pizio said...

Thinking of you through this hard time. Many prayers to you and those left behind for strength and hope through the coming days.

Michelle said...

Thanks for putting this out there. It helped to read and know that we are all dealing with this together - even if in our own ways - as we try to find peace in our love for one another.