Friday, June 4, 2010

Urban Outfitters - We say "Fifty Percent*"

I am not a fan of Urban Outfitters.

In the beginning I merely felt apathetic about them. I didn't really shop there but I didn't actively avoid them either. But now it is becoming an outright dislike, if not hatred, and not just because they are pushing their giant chain into one of my favorite unique towns.

As home of the ironic hipster, pseudo-designers and blatent knock-offs, Urban Outfitters does more harm than good. But I think their true slimy underbelly, typically hidden under a facade of "cool", sometimes slips out. They show their blatent misogyny, racism and bigotry.

It started when they pulled an "I support Same-Sex Marriage" shirt off the shelves after a week. But here are more recent examples:

First is a simple henley, but with the color options as "white/charcoal" and "Obama/Black"



Then there is the call to "preserve your daughters' sacred virginity", which is currently still for sale on the site. (I'm not giving them the benefit of a link out)



Now they have a shirt that mandates "Eat Less". Their description reads: "Eat less or more or however much you'd like in this seriously soft knit tee cut long and topped with a v-neck." but not sure that is the real message.




Of course, there are those that will say that these shirts are meant to be funny or, yes, ironic, but are they really? When coupled with the hurtful and hateful politicians supported by the owner, I'm not quite sure.

I know that many many people love this store. But you also have to know that when you buy that shirt or scarf or pants, you are directly supporting and promoting more than just what you are wearing. There are so many individual designers and better options where you can spend your money... and promote a more inclusive way of life.

*"Fifty Percent" is a belief that we subscribe to around here. It is the belief that, even when you are joking, you mean about 50% of what you are actually saying.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Those shirts are disgusting. I can especially see how the "Eat Less" shirt would be triggering for the many people out there with eating disorders. Selling or wearing a shirt like that is incredibly uncompassionate and selfish.

WendyB said...

It's too stupid to offend me. It's like it's trying too hard to offend. Yawn. Poseurs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Poochie, I hear you on this, just wanted to give you a heads up, not sure if you knew that UO, Anthropologie and Free People are all owned by the same company. So, well you know..... One of the major reasons I stopped shopping all all three.